The tile also needed to be brought up all the way to the door jam to meet the transition to the living room. The carpet removal had left us with a thin piece of plywood (not hardwood like the rest of the floors) that we needed to cover up. Luckily, we found the existing tile in the attic space and proceeded to have our first mini attempt at tiling. We only had to cut and install three tiles, but it was a good confirmation that we could attempt future tiling projects. Once the tiles were in, we added a thin transition that we stained with the same Varathane Premium Wood Stain in Espresso that we had the professionals do our floors with.
And because I am an organizational freak, M did me a favor and installed these five shelves from IKEA for our shoes. (We are trying to be good about not walking on the hardwood with shoes, having a place to put them helps).