We started the next phase of the rumpus room, and now with the fancy drywall stilts, we have a whole new system that makes skim coating the ceilings a lot quicker.
I scoop – M skims. When he is out of joint compound, I scoop some more and he keeps on skimming. Seeing as how I couldn’t get the hang of the stilts, my job stays on the ground. But the process seems to be going a lot quicker this way, and at least I feel like I am contributing to the room’s progress.
Before we started on the ceiling, M had removed all the old paneling. (Yes, I really REALLY really wanted to paint the wood paneling and keep it for some texture- but I lost that battle). Looking at it now though, I am really happy we decided to start semi-fresh. The fact that we found some termite damage behind one of the panels supports that idea. It’s nice to know we know what is behind there.
So M tidied up, taped and mudded all the joins, corners, and sunk all the nails. And then we started the ceiling. The initial step was to scrape all the popcorn, like we did HERE. Unlike the first three rooms in the house, the hallway and master had to be scraped AND skim coated to achieve a smooth surface. The same goes for this monster of a room.
You can see in this image, the ceiling has been scraped, and there is a bit of joint compound in one spot. The goal is to do about 4-5 coats of this stuff- and sand, sand and do more sanding.
Here is the ceiling fully scraped and ready to be skim coated:
First layer of joint compound:
The scooper! (my job) Before mixing the joint compound with a metal paint mixer attached to the drill, we added a bit of dishwashing liquid to it. Apparently M read somewhere that this helps avoid bubbles when you apply it. Thought that was an interesting tip.
Second layer of joint compound being applied:
Second layer completed!
Only 3 more coats to go!