Rumpus Room reno reveal!
We started this project in August in “Goodbye Rumpus Room. See you in six months.” And I am very happy to report that here we are, two months later, back in this room.
The past months have been filled with (in no particular order):
– skim coating the popcorn ceiling, here and here and here
– removing the wood panelling
– giving the fireplace a good scrub down
– replacing the aluminum sliding door with a double glazed four panel door
– sanding, priming, and painting the ceiling and walls
– adding ceiling trim and baseboards
– adding a trim around the sliding door
– removing the wet bar (to the disappointment of many of our friends)
– removing the old step and building a new one
– replacing the fixtures/outlets/switches
– removing the old shag carpet and having a seagrass carpet installed
– removing two dropped ceilings
– installing drywall to replace the the dropped ceiling
– learning to walk on dry wall stilts
– removing the storage closet
– cleaning and spray painting the wall heater
– installing the speaker system
– removing door frame from den to laundry room and drywalled and beaded the frame
And because the whole point is the before and after, here we go!:
There are a few baseboards to nail down and we would like to switch out the cheap-o fixture under the soon to be dining area (but want to wait till we get the table to hang that lamp). For now we have brought in an old outdoor table and have actually eaten a few meals at it. For the two and a half years that we have lived together, we have always had dinner on the couch in front of the tv, this whole dining table thing is new civilized living for us.